[GRASS-user] v.select incredibly slow

Uwe Fischer gisfisch at t-online.de
Mon Mar 29 09:53:53 PDT 2021

Hi Moritz,

thank you again for your explanations.

I have a basic understanding of topological and other formats (even if it does not always look like that  -:).
I have some python scripts with GRASS commands for important tasks, but I do not use the GRASS ui on a day-to-day basis. That is why I am not familiar with all concepts and terms.

To sum things up:
- the initial problem (v.select) is solved (thank you again), I found my error and I will try the newer versions
- QGIS and shapefiles are NOT topological, but GRASS and its maps are
- I cannot work topologically with QGIS, but I can view GRASS maps:
	# a simple GRASS map with boundaries and centroids is shown as area polygons in QGIS (no lines)
	# I have a GRASS map that is shown with such polygons PLUS lines in QGIS
	# GRASS v.info tells me there are bounds and cents, but no lines in that same map -> that is what I do not understand
	# maybe the reason is that QGIS maps GRASS items into something else.

What I'd like to learn is: How can I create a GRASS map with boundaries, centroids and clean lines from polygon shapes? As easy and streamlined as possible?

Ages ago, when I worked with ARC/INFO Coverages, there was the CLEAN command:
	- you could use CLEAN with the ARC option and it writes clean arcs (=lines) to the coverage
	- you could use CLEAN with the POLY option on the same coverage and it writes out polygons, which exist along with the arcs.

Is there a way to do it similar in GRASS? Maybe v.to.lines?

Best regards, Uwe