[GRASS-user] r.neighbors vs r.resamp.filter

Bernardo Santos bernardo_brandaum at yahoo.com.br
Thu Nov 4 02:13:11 PDT 2021

 Hi Maris,
thanks for your answer.For me what you say is clear when it comes to r.resamp.interp (output has a finer scale resolution then the input) or r.resamp.stats (result has a coarser resolution).However, it is not so clear when it comes to r.resamp.filter.
I used a "roadsmajor" map form the NC dataset as an example to calculate the density, considering a neighborhood of 150m (just some random value, multiple of the map resolution, 30m).Here is a gist for the code: neighbors_vs_resamp_filter.py (github.com), run from the PERMANENT mapset.
Both r.neighbors and r.resamp.filter produce maps with similar resolution (=30m, the original resolution), and the results are quite comparable, visually, even though different.Probably (at least part of) the differences are due to different filters/algorithms. I am not sure exactly how many pixels are considered in each filter when I set the radius as 150m in r.resamp.filter, for example. Maybe if I chose a Gaussian filter (which is possible in both modules) the results would be more similar.
I understand r.neighbors has other statistics it is possible to compute (which are not present in r.resamp.filter), and r.resamp.filter has multiple types of combination of filters which are not possible in r.neighbors, so they complement each other.
But, if I use the "average" method in r.neighbors, can they be comparable? Am I missing something central here?

BestBernardo