[GRASS-user] Start grass, create new mapset

Micha Silver tsvibar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 09:21:20 PDT 2021

Hi Moritz:

On 9/22/21 4:20 PM, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Le 22 septembre 2021 14:40:45 GMT+02:00, Rich Shepard
> <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> a écrit :
>> On Wed, 22 Sep 2021, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>>
> I also see that the description of the -c flag itself only speaks
> about locations, not mapsets. This should also be changed. Something
> in the direction of:
>
> "-c
> Creates new GRASS unprojected location in specified GISDBASE"
> [no idea why it says 'unprojected' must be long-term legacy]

I think the reason here stems from the un-desirable case of creating a
location without specifying any projection details (neither EPSG code
nor a georeferenced file) then you'll get a more or less unusable
Location. You will have to start manually to setup the Location's
projection. What's more, I think that using the -c option to create a
location and mapset in one go does not work. You will always get a
Location with only the PERMANENT mapset:

grass -text -c EPSG:32632 /home/micha/GIS/grass/UTM33/micha

micha at RMS:Downloads$ g.mapsets -p
Accessible mapsets:
PERMANENT

(No mapset "micha")

The best approach is to do it in two stages:

 1. Create the Location (using an EPSG code or georeferenced file) . You
    can add the -e option to exit immediately
 2. Then restart grass with -c again to create the mapset, with the full
    path.

> should become
>
> "-c
> Creates new GRASS location or mapset respectively in specified
> GISDBASE or location"
> [if this is not too long]
>
> Moritz
>

>> Regards,