[GRASS-user] Startup issue: defaults to one mapset [RESOLVED]

Micha Silver tsvibar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 12:17:23 PDT 2021

On 9/22/21 8:57 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2021, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> Where do I look to find what's going on so I can fix it?

I don't think there is anything to fix:

At startup GRASS does not care about current working directory.

The default LOCATION/MAPSET is read from the ~/.grass7/rc file. Here on
my system:

micha at RMS:~$ cat ~/.grass7/rc
GISDBASE: /home/micha/GIS/grass
LOCATION_NAME: ITM
MAPSET: Arava
GUI: wxpython
DEBUG: 0

If you want to start GRASS from some other LOCATION/MAPSET you just add
the full path to the different MAPSET on the command line, as you showed
below.

Never hurts to review:

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass78/manuals/grass7.html

especially:

    EXAMPLES

The following are some examples of how you could start GRASS

*grass78*
    Start GRASS using the default user interface. The user will be
    prompted to choose the appropriate location and mapset.
*grass78 --gui*
    Start GRASS using the graphical user interface. The user will be
    prompted to choose the appropriate location and mapset.
*grass78 --text*
    Start GRASS using the text-based user interface. Appropriate
    location and mapset must be set by environmental variables (see
    examples below) otherwise taken from the last GRASS session.
*grass78 --gtext*
    Start GRASS using the text-based user interface. The user will be
    prompted to choose the appropriate location and mapset.
*grass78 $HOME/grassdata/spearfish70/user1*

> What I'm now doing to start grass from /data/grassdata is:
> grass /data/grassdata/<location>/<mapset>
>
> It works.
>
> Rich

Micha Silver
Ben Gurion Univ.