[GRASS-user] Need help identifying missing wxgtk dependencies

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Aug 11 15:29:20 PDT 2022

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 8:06 PM Eric Patton via grass-user
<grass-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> HI,
>
> I'm doing a fresh install of Grass 8.3dev on a new laptop running Linux Mint 20.3. It's been a while since I've had to
> do a new install, so used the Linux Mint wiki instructions here: https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#Linux_Mint
>
> I had no obvious error during configure/make/install.
>
> > g.version -gre
> version=8.3.dev
> date=2022
> revision=c1b1ff69d
> build_date=2022-08-11
> build_platform=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> build_off_t_size=8
> libgis_revision=2b85ab5eb
> libgis_date=2022-07-25T15:37:35+00:00
> proj=7.2.1
> gdal=3.5.1
> geos=3.11.0
> sqlite=3.31.1
>
> After launching Grass, g.region -p gives:
>
> > g.region -p
> projection: 99 (unnamed)
> zone:       0
> datum:      wgs84
> ellipsoid:  wgs84
> north:      149300
> south:      124200
> west:       -25900
> east:       7800
> nsres:      100
> ewres:      100
> rows:       251
> cols:       337
> cells:      84587
> free(): invalid pointer
> Aborted (core dumped)

Please check if you have by chance PROJ libraries twice on your system
(maybe a leftover from a local compilation vs distro packages.

sudo updatedb
locate libproj

may be of help here. Also check the output of

ldd $(which g.region)

for anything suspicious.

> Launching g.gui gives a popup window that says "Unable to get geographic extent. Force quitting wxGUI. Please manually run g.region to fix the problem."
>
> On the terminal, this was printed after launhcing g.gui:
>
> > g.gui
> Launching <wxpython> GUI in the background, please wait...
> wxdigit.py: Could not load grass_gis.8.3.
> wxnviz.py: Could not load grass_gis.8.3.

Please check (with locate, see above) if the library is on your system.

> I noticed in the wxGUI console these messages:
>
> "3D view mode not available
> Reason: cannot import name 'DM_FLAT' from 'nviz.wxnviz' "
>
> and also this one:
>
> "Vector digitizer not available.
> Reason: name 'sys' is not defined".

Mhh, weird. Maybe an error caused by another error?

> I thought I had all python/wxwidgets dependcies satisfied, but I must be missing something obvious??
>
> Additionally, I wanted to ask if we have a searchable Grass mailing list site? The mailman site is kind of useless for trying to search old messages.

I want that, too :-)
For the time being, here is a 3rd party search interface
https://marc.info/?l=grass-user&r=1&w=2

Markus