[GRASS-user] GRASS GIS integration with python packages for interactive plotting

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 08:05:28 PDT 2023

On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 7:50 AM Nunzio Losacco <nunzio.losacco at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if it is possible to have GRASS GIS interact with some external
> python libraries for interactive plotting, e.g. bokeh.org. Use case:
> click on a point, get a popup window with a pre-defined interactive plot or
> a relevant dashboard.

You could run it in Jupyter Notebooks (see e.g. [1]), I have used
matplotlib with GRASS in notebooks before. The use case with clicking is
not there yet, but we intend to implement more interactivity in the future.
Alternatively, the GRASS GIS GUI is implemented in wxPython and wxPython
can be integrated with matplotlib, there are several tools (such as
g.gui.tplot) that already use that.

[1] https://github.com/ncsu-geoforall-lab/grass-gis-workshop-foss4g-2022