[GRASS-user] Renaming location to project

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 07:45:21 PST 2023

Dear users and developers,

We have a new development which will likely touch everyone, so I would like
to make sure that everyone is informed and can prepare for or even help
with the changes.

After years of discussions, we are renaming the "location" concept in GRASS
GIS to "project". While we confirmed we want to keep all the advantages of
the current data hierarchy in GRASS GIS, the term "location" makes
explaining and working with the hierarchy difficult. The new term "project"
was chosen for the concept because it aligns with the place the concept has
in GRASS GIS and how other software packages are using the term. The term
"project" is also already used by many people who are explaining GRASS GIS
data hierarchy in workshops, classes, and papers.

Main transition will happen for 8.4 and is designed to be backward
compatible until the 9.0 release.

Many PRs are already in place:

https://github.com/orgs/OSGeo/projects/2

This text is a summary of a longer text in the related issue:

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/3121#issuecomment-1866473182

Best,
Vaclav