[GRASS-user] how to calculate volume of water stored in water storage with r.sim.water?

bonushenricus bonushenricus76 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 20:42:18 PDT 2023

Hi Anna
I too immediately thought it was enough to compute it for the final
step of the simulation,
but I noticed that the same slope, same ditches, same rainfall, for two
reservoirs at the same location, same length along a contour, but
different width and depth, at the final step of the simulation the
water depth was always 30 cm, I went to read the article
Mitasova, Helena, Chris Thaxton, Jaroslav Hofierka, Richard McLaughlin,
Amber Moore, e Lubos Mitas. «Path Sampling Method for Modeling Overland
Water Flow, Sediment Transport, and Short Term Terrain Evolution in
Open Source GIS». In Developments in Water Science, 55:1479–90.
Elsevier, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-5648(04)80159-X
where I read the Saint-Venant equation. I am an agricultural technician
and geographer unfortunately ignorant of hydrological calculations and
serious mathematics, and I understood, looking at the equation, that
the water depth is the depth of overland flow = rainfall exces - water
flow.
So the final 30 cm should not be understood as accumulated water, but
as the blade of water that was added at that precise moment.
Isn't my interpretation right?
Perito agrario Enrico Gabrielli
progetto F.A.R.M. www.farm-agroecologia.it
Tessera n. 633 Collegio Periti agrari prov. Di Modena
Biblioteca agricoltura: https://www.zotero.org/groups/aplomb/
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/bonushenricus