[GRASS-user] statistics(min, max, median) for vector lines and raster using v.rast.stats

B H hemantbist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 11:19:28 PDT 2023

I need to calculate some statistics(min, max and median) for a raster along
some line geometries.
The way I am using  v.rast.stats is not calculating statistics for all line
geometries. (Each line geometry is a straight line, but some of the line
geometries are
nearby and some of them intersect.)

Is there a different command I can use to get these stats for _all_ lines,
or is there some other workaround ( maybe recursively create maps for lines
for which the stats are not calculated)? I am hoping that someone has run
into this problem before.

(I think the problem is that multiple lines may be passing through the same
raster cell and only one line is picked, but I am not sure.)
 I get the following warning which indicates why the stats are not
calculated for all (In the following run only 26520 out of 36622 lines
will get the stats.

#use v.in.ogr to import the vector/raster
v.rast.stats map=test1 raster=precip at PERMANENT column_prefix=precip

*WARNING: Not all vector categories converted to raster. Converted 26520
of    36622.*

I have run this  on grass 7.8 and 8.2

Thanks,
Hemant Bist.