[GRASS-user] v.clip error I don't understand

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue May 9 13:53:41 PDT 2023

I'm trying to clip the vector contour map with its very large areal
coverage to my project's analysis area (image attached). The v.clip module
has three parameters: input map, clip map, output map. I wonder if the
structure of my analysis area is the source of the error(s).

Analysis area used for input with v.in.ascii (output name clipbox):
L 5 1
2306066.00 224201.00
2307121.58 224201.00
2307121.58 223164.00
2306066.00 223164.00
2306066.00 224201.00
1 1

The command and its results:v.clip in=base_contours clip=clipbox out=dm_baseline

Default clipping with dissolved clip map.
WARNING: No 'column' option specified. Dissolving based on category values
          from layer <1>.
Extracting features...
  100%
Building topology for vector map <temp_13361 at northside_rock>...
Registering primitives...
Writing attributes...
Removing duplicate centroids...
Building topology for vector map <temp_13361 at northside_rock>...
Registering primitives...
Copying vector features from <base_contours at northside_rock>...
  100%
Copying vector features from <temp_13361 at northside_rock>...
ERROR: No area features found in vector map <temp_13361 at northside_rock>.
        Verify 'btype' parameter.
ERROR: Clipping steps failed. Check above error messages and see following
        details:
        Module run `v.overlay ainput=base_contours binput=temp_13361
        operator=and output=dm_baseline olayer=0,1,0` ended with an error.
        The subprocess ended with a non-zero return code: 1. See errors
        above the traceback or in the error output

Perhaps the error is the result of my not using the -d option because I'm
not sure what would be dissolved with it: the contours external to the
clipbox? Which is what I want.

Confused,

Rich