[GRASS-user] r.slope.aspect: rejects DCELL precison for map with DCELL precision

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed May 10 18:14:21 PDT 2023

I don't understand why a raster elevation map with DCELL precision is
rejected by r.slope.aspect. The region was set to the vector analysis area.

r.info tells me this about the elevation map:
  | Map:      dem2014                        Date: Wed May 10 13:47:46 2023    |
  | Mapset:   northside_rock                 Login of Creator: rshepard        |
  | Location: Oregon                                                           |
  | DataBase: /data1/grassdata                                                 |
  | Title:    dem_2014                                                         |
  | Timestamp: none                                                            |
  |   Type of Map:  raster               Number of Categories: 0               |
  |   Data Type:    DCELL                Semantic label: (none)                |
  |   Rows:         1037                                                       |
  |   Columns:      1056                                                       |
  |   Total Cells:  1095072                                                    |
  |        Projection: NAD83(CORS96) / Oregon North                            |
  |            N:     224201    S:     223164   Res:     1                     |
  |            E: 2307121.58    W:    2306066   Res: 0.99960227                |
  |   Range of data:    min = 240  max = 820                                   |
  |   Data Description:                                                        |
  |    generated by r.surf.contour                                             |
  |   Comments:                                                                |
  |    r.surf.contour --overwrite input="baseline_dem" output="dem_2014"       |

grass reports (with the module usage redacted):
r.slope.aspect elev=dem2014 slope=dem2014_slope aspect=dem2014_aspect format=degrees precision=DCELLl pcurv=dem2014_pcurve dx=dem2014_ew_slope dy=dem2014_ns_slope mem=2000 --o
Generates raster maps of slope, aspect, curvatures and partial derivatives from an elevation raster map.

ERROR: Value <DCELLl> out of range for parameter <precision>
 	Legal range: CELL,FCELL,DCELL

What exactly is out of range?

TIA,

Rich