[GRASS-user] Computing continuous dry spell from strds

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 15:52:47 PDT 2023

Hi Sajid,

The example uses a weekly mask because I was interested in consecutive
freezing days per week. The idea, as explained to me by Thomas was to use
this weekly mask (a strds with zero value all over the region) as a
placeholder to add 1 only if the day after or before the current one also
met the condition being evaluated. So, this resulting consecutive-days time
series had 0, 2, 3, etc per pixel per week and that made sense to me for
mosquitoes.

For your problem, perhaps you could either create a zeroes strds with
monthly granularity and using the same command you would get consecutive
days of no rain per month, then add that into years and such... or create a
daily zeroes strds and add one every time the condition is met, i.e.,
current day without rain and previous or posterior day without rain. But
then again, you will need some granularity to count how many times you have
10+ days without rain. You could iterate the counts with increasing
granularities, i.e., do the counting for granularities of 10, 15, 20 days
and so on. But that seems a bit too much. Maybe, you can either try lower
level functions in the temporal framework combined with pygrass and python
or create your own function (?) and contribute it :)

There was a question about consecutive days last year:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2022-August/083037.html.

Perhaps others can share their insight and ideas

I wish I could be of more help!
Cheers,
Vero