[GRASS-user] Mini project 2024: First progress report

Linda Karlovská linda.karlovska at seznam.cz
Tue Jan 23 01:36:33 PST 2024

Hello guys,

after two weeks of working on the GRASS mini-project called Easy command
history navigation through the History browser panel, I am sending my first
progress report which is also available here: [1].

1) What did I complete?
The first simple implementation of the history browser panel (see ​
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/3234)[2]) had some flaws, mainly in
terms of class hierarchy, so a bigger intervention was needed. So, week one
was all about making the code neater and more logical. I dived into
improving the code quality and logic as part of the PR ​
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/3342)[3] since in this PR the
problematic structure was fully shown. At the beginning of the second week,
this PR adding a new pop/up command menu with an item for deleting a command
from history was successfully merged. Big thanks to Tomas Zigo for the
suggestions and testing!

In the middle of the second week, I started to prepare the biggest PR of
this project [4] which focuses on two things: first, it changes the way how
the history log is stored - newly it is going to be the JSON format. Second,
it shows the info about commands - execution time, runtime duration, status,
region settings, and if a mask was set. We originally planned to show this
info in a new Command Info dialog, but during the implementations, we
decided that it would be cooler to have it right at the bottom of the
history browser.

2) What am I going to achieve for the next two weeks?
I will probably stick with ​(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/3365)[4]
for the next two weeks. Firstly, the JSON format structure needs revisions.
Secondly, I will rework how the info shows up - the info will be shown
directly at the bottom of the history browser after calling the
OnItemSelected event. As this PR is the most important part of the project,
it will probably require a couple of iterations.

3) Is there any blocking issue?
No, it isn't.

Have a nice week.

Linda

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/
EasyCommandHistoryNavigation#Reportforweeks1and2

(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/https:/trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/EasyCommandHistoryNavigation#Reportforweeks1and2)
[2] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/3234
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/3234)

[3] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/3342