[GRASSweb-list]Email address: webgrass@grass.itc.it

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Nov 21 10:00:52 EST 2002

Hi Steve,

sorry, the mailto address was wrong, I have fixed it
(weblist at grass.itc.it everywhere).

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:37:23PM +0000, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
[...]
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an interest in open source and GIS and wondered if you could give
> > me an idea of what the likely bandwidth requirements would be for
> > someone running a mirror of the GRASS site ?

Well, bandwidth is difficult to estimate. Have a look at the
traffic on grass.itc.it (which is the main server, so traffic may
be higher than elsewhere):

http://grass.itc.it/webalizer/

Note that only from November onwards the entries are valid.

> > I know of a UK site which might be interested in hosting a mirror provided
> > the bandwidth is not beyond their current 2Mbit line (which they use for
> > various other purposes as well). Would you be interesting in having a UK
> > mirror for the GRASS software ?

I think that were great - in fact, when people feel that the site
is too slow, they'll choose another one. So it should be a sort
of self-organizing system. If needed, they may limit the traffic
server-side to 1Mbit (or appropriate).

Please let me know if the site will be established (and it's address).

Thanks for your efforts,

 Markus