[GRASSweb-list]Re: Geospatial database in Grass5

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 16 10:58:10 EDT 2002

Boonen, J. wrote:
 > Dear Frank and Markus,
 >
 > We are dealing with geological spatial datasets, which are considered to be handeled
 > with GRASS –GIS.
 >
 > Some data is already converted into grass vector formats, but as trial the template
 > Spearfish dataset is used – to get familiar with all the ins-and-outs of grass.
 >
 > Because a considerable task in creating the geological spatial dataset should be done
 > with database routines, we want to have our data implemented in a spatial database.
 >
 > We recognized the postgreSQL in combination with postGIS as the most reliable database
 > option in combination with GRASS5.0 – the software is installed – but we have problems
 > with the implementation of the data into the database.
 >
 > Our basic question is this:
 >
 > *	how can a GRASS-database like Spearfish with its directory structure be implemented
 > into postgreSQL *	how can GRASS substract / read data from this database.
 >
 > We don’t know if these questions can be easily answered, possibly a tutorial, or a
 > template spatial postgreSQL would be useful.

Nico,

I am afraid I am not too savvy on the vector side of GRASS.  My (vague)
understanding was that GRASS 5.0 has support for holding attributes tables
in PostgreSQL, but not geometry ... and hence can't really take advantage
of PostGIS. However, GRASS 5.1 (under development) will have PostGIS support
built into the core.  However, completion of GRASS 5.1 is some ways out.

Markus may have more info.  I would suggest taking your question to the
users mailing list.

Best regards,