[GRASSweb-list]Mirror Sites out of sync accusations

Dan Jacobson jidanni at jidanni.org
Fri Jul 4 17:16:52 EDT 2003

Why not have a link, from the front page, to a page called
"mirror_freshness_check.txt"

this file is made by a cronjob once a day:
echo "this date should be within 24 hours: `date`"

M> Why? Like the the GRASS users know that they got oldish stuff.

I want to know

>> I looked at the front page of the Taiwan site. It seems kind of fresh.

M> How to add that? The master pages at grass.itc.it are read from
M> the CVS server four times a day.
M> The only way I can see is to change the reading cron job to modify
M> this page after 'cvs up' from GRASS CVS. Mhhh.

just have the above cronjob, won't cvs discover one file modified or something?

M> How to tell rsync to read index.html as last page? The only way I can
M> see is that all mirror maintainers add a second rsync command to only
M> read index.html. Not sure if they are willing to do that.

use my separate .txt page, that way browsers don't need to refetch
index.html.  OK, in fact no need to be 'last', never mind that.

>> Also, on the mirrors page, list the names, TEL no's and emails and
>> Homepages of each mirror maintainer.

M> Look into the source code of that page, the contact addresses are
M> stored as comment inside.

nobody would have guessed that for 1000 years. Make a separate page.
If they weren't so secret, you would have a lot more folks in contact.
As it is, they think no one is using their sites...