[GRASSweb-list]GRASS Mirror and support

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Jul 10 15:40:38 EDT 2003

Alan,

thanks for your message!

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 03:36:00PM +0200, Alan Richert wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am busy evaluating GRASS5 and have so far found it to be very good. We
> are looking to replace a commercial product for which support is in our
> area is non-existant and license costs are so high for our usage it is
> not even an option any more !
>
> We should know in about a week if we will be changing permantely or not,
> but so far it looks like we will. :)
>
> I would be extremely interested in hosting a mirror site for your
> software. I can accomodate the space and have aprox 7Gb of traffic
> bandwidth currently available (monthly).
> I do web hosting for a few select clients (mainly our own software
> support), and would be willing to host a site for a mirror (at no cost
> to you of course! ).
> Can you please give me an indication of disk space and bandwidth
> requirements.

It were great to have another GRASS mirror!
At time around 650MB space are needed, synchronization is done
with "rsync".
Could you also provide an rsync server for our cascaded mirrors
method?

> The server (the site would be located in), is located in Dallas, Texas,
> USA. but we are located in South Africa, thus we can serve for USA
> mirror and can aim at the South African market (our product market).
> Our main product is a GIS based agricultural capture & manangement tool,
> and thus GIS is a very big part of it, as well as being very involved in
> GIS work in our local area.

Yes, fine.

> I do also have a suggestion. Would you not be interested in having a
> disscusion/support forum on the web. I have found this to be a very
> effective tool for support, and a lot of companies/software/support is
> trending towards forums rather than news servers (nntp).
> I would also be willing to host such a forum/s for you.

There was once a forum which disappeared, the we have a WIKI
running which is very instable (I would be happy to replace it).

We could give it a try, I can't promise if the GRASS community will
use it :-) Maybe yes (why not).

> Alan Richert
>
> cyberaxcess.com
> South Africa

Find the mirror instructions here:
http://grass.itc.it/grass.mirrors.html
(at page bottom)

Thanks in advance,

 Markus

--
Markus Neteler     <neteler at itc.it>       http://mpa.itc.it
ITC-irst, Istituto per la Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica