[GRASSweb-list][RFC] GRASS monthly news

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Oct 21 13:34:35 EDT 2003

Hi Gonzalo,

in my eyes a periodical news would be a great feature for GRASS!
If you manage to publish it once a month this is perfect,
even a newsletter every two month would be a perfect start.

The best examples for project newsletters I sometimes read
are the one from Abiword and Debian Weekly news.
If we manage to publish something regular we probably get featured
on LWN soon.

I might be able to provide some statistics about the itemtracker,
on request. I was planing to do this more often anyway.
Also I believe that we should give credits to people active
on the several part of GRASS.

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 06:33:38PM +0200, "Fernández-Victorio Arévalo, Gonzalo" wrote:
> The codebase is giant, but there are very few people contributing.

Well I believe that over time is on a rise,
because of the structure it is a lot easier to contribute only a bit.

> I think some kind of periodical news could give "us" visibility in FLOSS
> community, and give community feeling to ourselves.

FLOSS sounds like a dentist item. Why not say Free Software community,
I definatley prefer that term. ;)

> 	GRASS license [creating a desktop GIS application using GRASS]

I find that [2] and that subject would be bit confusing.
This is not about a desktop GIS application,
but about licensing strategy and the relation to other software
on this planet.

One idea would be to briefly introduce another Free Software GIS component
or a news about it. Freegis.org and the mailinglist there might
be enough to get you going on this.

> (*)I haven't contacted him. I don't know if he could give me an interview. I
> don't even know if he is ok or if his e-mail is active.

The interview certainly is a very good idea!

> 4.-When?
> Once a month. Main reason is that's what I think I'm able to do. If there
> were more people interested, maybe we could share the work and launch a
> GRASS quarterly news or be even weekly. But once a month is what I think I'm
> able to do.

> I post this to weblist because this is my 1.1.5 in another proposal[3]. That
> only had one comment. Maybe I should post to grass5?

I'd say you could just starting right away if you like,
maybe with a small annoucement.
The idea itself certainly is not controversail!