[GRASSweb-list][RFC] GRASS monthly news

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sat Oct 25 11:34:56 EDT 2003

"Fernández-Victorio Arévalo, Gonzalo" wrote:
> Anywat the other developer has answered. He's Moritz. He has no problem to
> an interview, but he thinks there are other people more active. He points
> name(s). He don't even consider himself a developer.

Moritz might be categorized as "Power-user".

> I know who is who in GRASS fairly well, but I think his job is important to
> GRASS. Also, if I start from "leader" towards
> "once-I-spread-the-word-about-GRASS", past the first ones, people would find
> it boring. I think we must show interesting "developers" (as opposed to
> coders) involved in GRASS, and Moritz work with documentation is very
> important IMO.

Personally I don't think that "developers" vs. "coders" is appropriate for
the GRASS project. We have no paid people who get instructions what
code to write. So "coders" do not exist (at least for me), we have
GRASS developers who are also coding. I think that every developers
has a vision of the future of GRASS, a coder maybe not (as he/she
receives the order to write certain code without developing own
visions). Having such coders would be useful, but it seems that
we have to wait more time...

To find out who is really contributing to the project, check also
the CVS Changelog.

Anyway, not so important, just my 0.02 Euro-cents.

Bernhard: It might be interesting for your upcoming bugtracker
analysis script, to study the time between opening and closing a bug.

Have a good start, I'm looking forward to see the first issue.

Markus