[GRASSweb-list]New PHP grass website for mirrors without PHP

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Dec 29 15:01:43 EST 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 12:59:05PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> thanks for all the efforts on the webpages!
>
> On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 08:09:59PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > The only PHP function which I am using is include() to
> > construct the menus. No other tricks...
>
> So why the use of PHP then?

As written above - because it provides the convenient
include() function.

> This could have been done with an easy preprocessing.

Certainly true. Only - no volunteer found since 2001.
I received enough promises but...

As usual, we are going the way of minimizing efforts
(ok, took enough time) while trying to maximize the
positive effects.

> It is true that the use of a general programming language
> introduces a lot of security implications (not only for mirrors).

Well, PHP3 is sufficient and, more important, on more than
20 of the 25 mirrors PHP was already installed.
So potential security problems are not introduced by the
change in the GRASS menu system for the majority of the mirror
sites.

Regards

 Markus

PS:
I was 100% sure to receive this comment :-)

--
Markus Neteler     <neteler itc it>       http://mpa.itc.it