[GRASSweb-list]New PHP grass website for mirrors without PHP

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Jan 10 11:52:31 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 03:16:26PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 09:01:43PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 12:59:05PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > > Hi Markus,
> > >
> > > thanks for all the efforts on the webpages!

> > > So why the use of PHP then?
> >
> > As written above - because it provides the convenient
> > include() function.
> >
> > > This could have been done with an easy preprocessing.
> >
> > Certainly true. Only - no volunteer found since 2001.
> > I received enough promises but...
>
> If you only would have wanted that include function alone,
> m4 or a simple python script could have done that, no volunteer needed.

Sorry, I am not able to learn python, nor m4 (no time, not too much
interest as I have a zillion other things to do).

> Examples are:
> 	Simple M4 preprocessing for kolab pages:
> 	http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/doc/www/src/Makefile?rev=1.14&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>
> 	Simple python preprocessing for skencil.org:
> 	http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/skencil/skencil.org/
>
> > As usual, we are going the way of minimizing efforts
> > (ok, took enough time) while trying to maximize the
> > positive effects.

With PHP I had to learn 1 function. Not too much work :-)
The page cleanup was necessary in any case.

> > > It is true that the use of a general programming language
> > > introduces a lot of security implications (not only for mirrors).
> >
> > Well, PHP3 is sufficient and, more important, on more than
> > 20 of the 25 mirrors PHP was already installed.
> > So potential security problems are not introduced by the
> > change in the GRASS menu system for the majority of the mirror
> > sites.
>
> Yes, it is because you are actually using the programming language
> as to not use it which is significantly different from having is
> just installed and not used.

So - where is the problem then?

> > PS:
> > I was 100% sure to receive this comment :-)
>
> You could have included the answer in the announcement then. ;)

Will do next time...

Cheers

 Markus

PS: Have W3 link validated most of the server now.

PPS: There is still a HTML validity bug in the search box, no idea how
to fix that. But who cares...
file: searchgrass.inc