Fwd: [GRASSweb-list]Grass in the brazilian press

Christian Ferreira christian.grass at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 13:48:36 EST 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Christian Ferreira <christian.grass at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:43:51 -0300
Subject: Re: [GRASSweb-list]Grass in the brazilian press
To: Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it>

Hello Markus,

Thank you for your reply.

The first article at "Revista do Linux" magazine, number 45 and
published in September 2003 has an URL:

http://www.revistadolinux.com.br/ed/045/assinantes/estudo_furg.php3

And a PDF version (made by me) is at my lab server:

http://sonar.tecpesq.furg.br//hidro/transfer/christian/grass/revista_do_linux_2003.pdf

The second at "PC Master" magazine, number 78 and published in
September 2004 doesn't have a URL (unfortunately), just a PDF (also
made by me) at:

http://sonar.tecpesq.furg.br//hidro/transfer/christian/grass/revista_pc_master_2004.pdf

I have another publications, but they don't mention GRASS
(unfortunately), the journalists didn't wrote about the software
because the magazine/journal/TV was made for a general public. They
are:

Revista Pesquisa FAPESP (the article was published in the issue 90 in
Portuguese, Spanish, and English). Links are below:

(Portuguese)
http://revistapesquisa.fapesp.br:2222/transform.php?xml=9/2/20030729/20030890/pt/SEC1_8.xml&xsl=xsl/pt/article.xsl&transf=normal&id=SEC1_8&lang=pt&issue=20030890

(Spanish)
http://revistapesquisa.fapesp.br:2222/transform.php?xml=8/0/20030808/20030890/es/SEC1_8.xml&xsl=xsl/es/article.xsl&transf=normal&id=SEC1_8&lang=es&issue=20030890

(English)
http://revistapesquisa.fapesp.br:2222/transform.php?xml=8/0/20030808/20030890/en/SEC1_8.xml&xsl=xsl/en/article.xsl&transf=normal&id=SEC1_8&lang=en&issue=20030890

Jornal Folha de Sao Paulo from 5 of August 2003 (the article appeared
on the front cover of this journal in the science "section". This is
the biggest daily journal in my country). The link is:

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/ciencia/ult306u9745.shtml

These two news also appeared in dozens of websites and in my country.

My work (with GRASS) also appeared in our biggest TV news (Jornal
Nacional on Globo Channel). The news is at their website at:

http://jornalnacional.globo.com/Jornalismo/JN/0,,AA778626-3586,00.html

Now, I prepared a scientific publication with my work with GRASS, and
is "in press". I will send a copy of this to you.

Now, I'm still preparing my GRASS Tutorial in Brazilian Portuguese,
and finding some people to join with me in the translations of GRASS
messages to our native language...

Also, I'm about the release (in 2-3 weeks) a free Linux distribution
(live and install cd) with lots of tools of open source tools for
academic and scientific work. The GIS tool is (of course): GRASS 6.0
beta 2 (with GDAL support) and QGIS 0.6 (with support the GRASS
vectors). The distro is based on another national distro called
Kurumin. The language on our distro is only Brazilian Portuguese now,
but I'm planning versions in Spanish and English after our first
stable realease in Portuguese. The website is:

http://poseidon.furg.br

and the iso (a preview) is at:

http://sonar.tecpesq.furg.br//hidro/transfer/christian/poseidon_latest.iso
http://sonar.tecpesq.furg.br//hidro/transfer/christian/md5sum_poseidon_latest.txt

Well, I'm doing all this work to promote Open Source GIS tools because
I believe that Open Source is a better way for science and research.
I'm really happy that some people is already following this path with
me.

(by the way: I finally bought your book about GRASS (the second
edition), it's a really great book!)

Cheers,
--
Christian dos Santos Ferreira