[GRASS-web] GRASS website migration - content types

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Sat Jan 12 17:24:02 EST 2008

On 11.01.2008 00:33, Wolf Bergenheim wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Saturday I have scheduled time to make the
> http://grass-dev.osgeo.org/ website ready for access to GRASS developers.

Hello, sorry for cross post, but I think this might be interesting to a
larger crowd then just the web list...

I have now enabled LDAP for the site, which means you can now log in
using your OSGeo ID. If you want to be able to create / edit content,
please log in and then send me your OSGeo ID, so that I can give you
better access rights.

Then you can start creating content. But before everybody goes in and
adds their favorite page, I'd like to spend a few moments talking about
site structure.

Here is my proposal:
1) The primary links (on the top) should be sort of shortcuts to the
most used pages:
    * About / FAQ
    * Features
    * Download
    * Screenshots
    * Docs and/or Manuals
    * <Maybe some other?>
2) The site structure should be made visible via an expanding navigation
menu like this:
    * Features
       * One page describing each feature
    * Documentation
       * Many different documentation pages
    * Community
       * Community pages here
    * Development
       * Developer pages here

What sections do you people think would be good and clear to have?

That is pretty much it for now. Please contribute ideas or maybe you
have an alternative?

An alternative to my expanding menu could be to have a main navigation
menu and then have a section menu appear for each section once the user
goes there, but IMHO an expanding menu would be clearer.

I have made galleries for the screenshots, I'd like some feedback on
them as well.

May the migration begin!
--Wolf

--