[GRASS-web] GRASS doesn't load anything

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Sat Jan 24 11:00:36 EST 2009

Hi, Jeffrey,

You'll generally have better luck getting help on the GRASS User's
mailing list - this mailing list ("GRASS-web") is designed for help/
information specifically about the website, and doesn't have nearly as
many subscribers.  See http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-user
  for more information on the User list.

However, I can give you a couple tips to get you started - first time
users often get confused about how to "point to" the database.

If you have extracted the spearfish data into a directory called
grassdata, then I assume you have a directory called spearfish inside
a directory called grassdata.  If you're doing this under Windows,
this might be something like c:\grassdata\spearfish

In that example, when you start GRASS, you would need to specify the c:
\grassdata folder as the "GIS data directory", which should then let
you choose spearfish as the "Location", and then either PERMANENT or
user1 as the "Mapset".  Once all three of those are chosen, the Enter
GRASS button should become active. But you have to actually click on
all three options if this is the first time you're using the software.

If you are not using Windows, the "c:\" part of that won't apply, but
the same directory structure logic still holds (i.e. specifying the
grassdata directory as the data directory, then clicking on spearfish
as the location, and choosing a mapset).  On a Mac, for example, you
might have extracted into /Users/youruserid/grassdata, in which case
that's what you should point at for the GIS DAta directory.

See if that explanation helps - if not, you should probably re-pose
your question on the GRASS User's list, but also make sure you specify
what version of GRASS you're using, as well as your operating system,
and perhaps some details about where/how you extracted the spearfish
dataset on your computer.

Cheers,

Scott Mitchell