[GRASS-web] South African GRASS Mirror

Patrick Holahan patrickh at tenet.ac.za
Thu Dec 12 02:30:30 PST 2013

Hi Markus,

I can resolve the DNS without a problem and browsing to
http://grass.mirror.ac.za provides the site as expected.

 From inside our network:
<snip>
$ nslookup grass.mirror.ac.za dns1.tenet.ac.za
Server:		dns1.tenet.ac.za
Address:	155.232.135.5#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	grass.mirror.ac.za
Address: 155.232.191.103
</snip>

 From Google's DNS:
<snip>
$ nslookup grass.mirror.ac.za 8.8.8.8
Server:		8.8.8.8
Address:	8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	grass.mirror.ac.za
Address: 155.232.191.103
</snip>

A telnet to port 80 snippet:
<snip>
$ telnet grass.mirror.ac.za 80
Trying 155.232.191.103...
Connected to grass.mirror.ac.za.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /index.html HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Via: 1.1 ROUWKOOP-SERVER
Connection: close
Proxy-Connection: close
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:26:46 GMT
ETag: "52a91951-63ba"
Server: nginx/1.5.3
Last-Modified: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 02:02:57 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes

xml:lang="en">
<head>
   <link rel="canonical" href="http://grass.osgeo.org/" />

     <title>GRASS GIS - Home</title>

<base href="http://grass.osgeo.org/" />
Ted Kulp. All rights reserved - Source code GPL'ed" />
gis, open source gis grass, open source web gis, open source gis
software, free open source gis, gis, mapping, open source software,
mapping software, cartography, gis data, geospatial, open source 3d,
geographic information system, geographic information systems, gis
software, mapping data, free software, raster, topology, vector, image
processing, visualization, hydrology, archeology, archaeology, 3D GIS">
Information System (GIS) software used for geospatial data management
and analysis, image processing, graphics/maps production, spatial
modeling, and visualization.">
<script type="text/javascript" src="country.js"></script>

Output truncated
</snip>

When ftp'ing to it, I find a similar result:

<snip>
$ lftp grass.mirror.ac.za
lftp grass.mirror.ac.za:~> ls
drwxr-xr-x    3 0          0                  28 Dec  7 23:35 "http:
drwxr-xr-x    2 0          0                  23 Dec  8 18:52 &
drwxr-xr-x    4 0          0                4096 Dec 11 09:35 addons
drwxr-xr-x    3 0          0                8192 Dec 11 09:35 announces
drwxr-xr-x    8 0          0                  76 Dec  8 02:51 awstats-icon

Output truncated.
</snip>

Please re-test and advise if you're still experiencing issues.
If so, can you please supply some debugging output, i.e. the IP from
where you're attempting to connect, a traceroute/ping to
grass.mirror.ac.za (just mirror.ac.za 155.232.191.200 if you're having
DNS resolution errors), etc.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick Holahan