[GRASS-web] GrassGis More Information and System Requirements

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun May 26 13:14:00 PDT 2013

Dear Pavlos Kallonis,

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Pavlos Kallonis <pkallonis at conceptum.gr> wrote:

> Dear GrassGis Team,
>
> We would like to propose the user of the GrassGis system to the
> Technological Institute of Athens Greece. They would like to have a program
> that will help them do their labs online.

this is excellent to hear!

> We have two questions on this matter:
>
> 1)      Is GrassGis able to run from a server, or does it need to be
> installed in the user’s personal computer. For example can we have an
> interactive map online with the ability to change according to the user’s
> interaction with it? (Like for example in commercial programs such as ArcGis
> Server Edition).

You may consider the OGC WPS protocol here. We use that routinely along
with the Zoo-project.org framework (open source) and GRASS GIS as
backbone.

Some links are collected here:
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WPS

> 2)      Are there any specific Computer Requirements for the latest
> GrassGIs version?

>From the hardware point of view: Nothing special. Please see

http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Software_requirements_specification
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Performance