[GRASS-web] Sample location on web site in tar.gz

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 14:33:38 PDT 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 8:45 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > on the GRASS web site, the sample locations are in tar.gz which is not so
> > friendly for MS Windows users. It would be of course interesting to have
> > possibility to unpack this in the GRASS welcome window but simpler
> solution
> > is to provide zip instead of tar.gz or both.
>
> I agree. Done - now there is:
>
> complete NC location:
> - GRASS 6 full data tar.gz | zip (135MB)
> - GRASS 7 full data tar.gz | zip (145MB)
>
> smaller subset NC location:
> - GRASS 6 data subset tar.gz | zip (49MB)
> - GRASS 7 data subset tar.gz | zip (50MB)
>
> http://grass.osgeo.org/download/sample-data/
>
> Should more be made available as ZIP? (just thinking of space consumption).
> In case, let me know.
>
> I just learned that tar.gz is readable by 7-Zip which is open source, so I
don't see tar.gz as such a problem now. But it might be helpful if we link
it from the web site as a tool to uncompress (something like the
(unnecessary?) links to Adobe Reader here and there when page have some
PDFs). When I meet someone with 7-Zip on MS Win, I will try to test if it
really works with our archives.

Vaclav