[GRASS-web] PSC Election: Statement Stefan Blumentrath

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Sat Jan 16 16:06:31 PST 2021

Dear GRASS GIS Community,

I am honored to be nominated for the GRASS GIS PSC.

Some of you may have read my name asking or answering questions on the user and developer mailing list. Fewer of you may have met me, e.g. at Community sprints in Bonn or video calls.
For those of you who do not know me: I learned GRASS GIS during my studies at the University of Hanover around 2000 (with GRASS 5.4). Being an environmental planner by education, I consider myself mostly as a "power user" with some "learning-by-doing" skills in Python. My focus has been on using GRASS GIS in applied ecology and my first contributions to GRASS GIS have been in form of AddOns[1] (r.connectivity, r.maxent.lambdas, v.rast.bufferstats, v.strds.timestamp). In 2018 I became a member for the core development team. I mostly contribute[2] to the Python code base or by discussing aspects of the development on the mailing list, github, or (virtual) meetings.

I use GRASS mainly on Linux for a broad range of analysis relevant in environmental research and advocate actively for the use of Open Source technology in that domain. In my work GRASS is often used in combination with other OSGeo tools, like PostGIS, QGIS, GDAL. So, as a PCS member - if elected - I will focus on the interoperability of GRASS GIS.

That said, I benefited a lot from my interactions with the great GRASS GIS community, so frankly being elected or not will most likely not have a major effect on my participation in the project one way or another. However, I would view it as an opportunity to "give back" though, by getting involved in the more administrative aspects of the project.

Finally, I also like to add that I have been very happy with the current PSC, and want to thank them for their work. Looking at the list of nominations I can already say that I will be happy with the next PSC too, whoever of the nominees gets elected. I am looking forward to future collaboration with the community in whatever formal role.

Cheers,
Stefan

1: Commits * OSGeo/grass-addons (github.com)<https://github.com/OSGeo/grass-addons/commits?author=ninsbl>
2: Commits * OSGeo/grass (github.com)<https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/commits?author=ninsbl>