[winGRASS] newbie question: XFree86 and GRASS

Alex Thorn amthorn1979 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 8 20:28:02 EST 2001

I've just started playing around with GRASS for the
first time, and have been experimenting with it from
a Windows NT machine.  I seem to have successfully
downloaded and installed Cygwin and GRASS 5.0, but am
having trouble getting GRASS to run.  When attempting
to run the GRASS Seeds tutorial, GRASS starts up OK,
but when I type g.list, and then 1, in order to look
at the raster files, I get the following message:

"grass5.0.0pre2_i686-pc-cygwin_bin.tar.gz" may be a
binary file.  See it anyway?

Not too surprisingly, if I type 'y', I get a page of
gibberish.  I'm not sure whether this is a problem
with the way I have GRASS set up, a problem with
the files (my first effort to remedie this was:
tar xzf grass5.0.0pre2_i686-pc-cygwin_bin.tar.gz,
which seemed to create a lot of new files/directories,
but did not fix the problem), or a problem with
XFree86.  I suspect that it may be a problem with
XFree86, since I have also been unable to use it to
run graphical programs when I try to use it to telnet
to a remote Unix machine.  On the other hand, it is
entirely possible that more than one problem is going
on.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  Any
insights?

I am relatively new to Unix in general, and so I would
not be surprised if I have overlooked something in the
setup.  Also, if there is any chance that I could get
feedback this weekend, that would be extremely cool,
since I am going to be talking to some fellow grad
students about GRASS on Monday morning, and I think
I'd have more to say if I had a little bit of
experience playing with it, as opposed to just
reading.

Thanks in advance!
Alex