[GRASSLIST:2777] Re: [winGRASS] newbie question: XFree86 and GRASS

Mike Thomas miketh at brisbane.paradigmgeo.com
Mon Dec 10 02:39:04 EST 2001

Hi Alex.

> OK. I just subscribed to GRASSLIST.

This is the right one for general Grass 5 questions.

> It doesn't look

> like the address is the same as the one that you cced

> this to,

No, that was the Grass developers list.

> > with the native XDriver (rather than the X Windows

> > version which I am no

> > longer set up to build) for you to download today or

> > tomorrow.

> I'm not even familiar enough with the jargon to know

> what you are trying to say here.

Grass uses display drivers for graphical output. The one that is used for
live screen based output and user interaction is called the XDriver, because
it works through the XWindows system.

We recently made a native Windows equivalent which I referred to (above) as
the "native Xdriver" - it actually doesn't need XWindows on your computer,
but we have not released it publicly yet, except as source code.

There is also a version of the XDriver for use on Windows NT/2000, which
does require XWindows - for example XFree86. The distribution which you
downloaded contains that version.

>> Sounds like your installation has gone wrong -

>> possibly at the Cygwin stage

>> or the scripts are not settiung the appropriate

>> environment variables.

>I may have initialized or expanded something from

>the wrong directory. [sigh] I can tell that this

>is at least twice as hard as it would be if I was

>trying to do this on a *nix machine: not only do

>I have to make sure GRASS is installed right, I also

>have to make sure that Cygwin and XFree86 are

>installed properly.

Yep...

>> Check whether that file is in the CELL subdirectory

>> of the grassseeds

>> tutorial.

>Preferring to supply too much information than too

>little:

Lots elided.

> ...So I guess the answer would be...no?

It seems so.

The funny thing about the stuff you provided is that Cygwin thinks you are
user "I have no name!" !!! (Unless you deliberately changed the output for
privacy purposes, or that is your real NT login.) I have never seen that
happen before.

The environment info you provided indicates that you are actually logged in
as "administrator".

It looks like Cygwin installation has gone badly wrong. I would do a
completely clean install, and if you still get that user name when you start
the Cygwin shell, I'm afraid I am at a loss - try the Cygwin mailing list
for that one!

The environment you sent looks OK to me.

> > Also try the "less" command to see that it works OK.

> I'm not at all sure what you mean. As I say, I'm

> pretty new to this.

"less" is a console text viewer. Say you had a file "hi.txt", you would
type:

less hi.txt

to view the contents.

Good luck.