[winGRASS] Installation Problems

Kirk Schmidt kirkschmidt at auracom.com
Wed Apr 24 09:39:01 EDT 2002

Good Morning:

I have been diligently working through the installation of  grass5 for
cygwin on a windows system (actually windows 98)  I ran into a couple of
minor snags with the install shell but that seems to have been overcome
(a problem with the filesize checker). I have installed cygwin and it is
operating as well.  I also installed the evaluation version of Star Net
Xwin-32 and it appears to work OK.

When I activate cygwin and type in "grass5 help"  I get the help
standard help files which originate from the file  file
cygwin/usr/local/bin/grass5.sh
This indicates that all is well.

When I enter  "grass5 -tcltk"  i get the following message:

usage: /usr/local/grass5/etc/lock file pid
unable to properly access /home/Kirk Schmidt/.gislock5

Upon checking the path to /home/Kirk Schmidt/   I  only find a BASH
history file

Does anybody have any idea what the problem is?

I assume I have to generate a file called "gislock5" but what does it
contain?

Still trying

Kirk Schmidt