[winGRASS] Re: Problem on install GRASS

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Aug 6 13:19:45 EDT 2002

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Dear winGRASS users,
>
> does anyone have a hint for Jennifer (please also cc to her)?
>
> > I followed the instructions on your web site on how to install GRASS 5.0 on Win32 with Cygwin 1.x. My OS is Windows XP, the cygwin and XWindow (XFree86) can operate very well, but whenever I issue Grass command, the following messeage appears:
> >
> > [: and: unknown operand
> > usage: /usr/local/grass5/etc/lock file pid
> > Unable to properly access /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/Jennifer/.gislock5
> > Please notify system personel.

GRASS cannot cope with spaces in filenames. You will need to create a
new home directory, and force the environment variable HOME to be set
to that instead. (Using "docume~1" instead of "Documents and Settings"
*might* work, but I haven't tested it).

This should be displayed *prominently* on any section(s) of the GRASS
web site which relate to using GRASS on Cygwin. Ideally, we should
try to find a solution which works on all versions of Windows.

My only Windows system is Win98, and is *not* configured for multiple
users; there, Cygwin uses "/home/Glynn" as my home directory. I
suspect that systems which are configured for multiple users (AFAIK,
the default on NT/2K/XP) are likely to be more problematic.