[winGRASS] Newbie: conversion of various formats to DEM files

Lorenzo Sandini lorenzo.sandini at uku.fi
Thu Jan 10 06:25:54 EST 2002

Well I made my appearance on this list a few days ago and I already have a
few questions.

I need to convert elevation curves from maps (10 km x 10 km) in raster
format to DEM files. The original maps include unfortunately text that must
be vectorized and edited manually or with R2V, resulting in broken lines,
etc...

As a second solution, I am offered vector maps for the same area in MIF
(MapInfo) or SHP (ArcView) format. Which I haven't tried to visualize yet (I
have samples here).

Finally, the same data is available in DXF/DWG format, where there is no
text at all apparently. I think this format is supported by AutoCAD, I
didn't try to open them.

I think I understood GRASS5 could do the conversion between many formats,
but I am a bit lost (well, more than a bit), and I could really use some
help. What should I use to get elevation data in DEM format from those maps
?

Thanks for your time and help. If this is the wrong list, I apologize in
advance.
Lorenzo Sandini
Kirurgian Klinikka
Kansanterveyden Tutkimuslaitos