[winGRASS] r.[in|out].gdal

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Mar 11 18:07:10 EST 2002

Andreas Lange wrote:

> > Does anybody have a handle on why gdal is not working on wingrass? Is it a
> > "throw your hands up in the air, we have no idea what's going on" or a "we
> > know what's wrong, but it's going to take ## hours to fix it and there are
> > other things to work in first" kind of problem?
> >
> > I have a large number of 256 colour tiffs to bring in to grass, which
> > r.in.tiff doesn't understand. If a fix for r.in.gdal is expected relatively
> > soon, (<month) I'll wait, otherwise I'll dive into converting the images to
> > 24bit outside of grass first (and hope I have enough diskspace ;-)
>
> the gdal library currently does not compile on my cygwin setup. That is
> all i can say right now and i have no time to check why.
> You options are: Try to fix it yourself (and share with us), beg someone
> to fix it for you or wait (no timeframe). Or you convert them first to
> 24bit, as you propose.

I almost got GDAL to compile by changing the definition of LD_SHARED
(in GDALmake.opt) to use "gcc" rather than calling "ld" directly.

After that, the only remaining failures were related to some symbols
in libtiff which start with a double underscore (i.e. the C-level name
starts with an underscore); these are used by frmts/gtiff/libgeotiff/xtiff.c.

Also, the static library (gdal.a) gets built, although I don't know if
the same problem (_TIFF* symbols) will occur when trying to link
against it (I need to free up some space on my Windows partition
before I can build GRASS for Cygwin).