[winGRASS] libgdal for windows

Matt & Kim patawi at polarcom.com
Tue May 28 01:51:27 EDT 2002

Markus noted in a follow up post that he was mistaken; the windows binary
of gdal does _not_ make r.in.gdal work. However you may be able to use the
windows gdal utilities, "gdal_translate.exe" and "gdalinfo.exe" to convert
the ERDAS images to an intermediate format like 8bit GeoTiff which can then
be imported with r.in.tiff. (Importing 8bit tiffs on Cygwin GRASS is quick
and easy, 24 bit tiffs take a very, very long time. At least that is the
case on my machine.)

Another possibility would be to ask if someone can build a Windows binary
version of the gdal utilities with the "--with-grass" option so that
gdal_translate.exe can go straight from Erdas to grass raster. (I can't do
this). Try asking on the gdal mailing list. If you meet with success,
please let us know.

good luck,

-matt