[winGRASS] combine vector and raster operation in grass?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Oct 7 14:33:00 EDT 2002

Jeff D. Hamann wrote:

> I'm trying to get/build "polygon" values by combining a raster layer and a
> polygon layer to get the number of pixels by polygon (like the arc/info
> combine function). I have converted the polygon layer into raster just fine
> and that's where I get stuck. How do I perform a combine so that I get a
> table that contains the number of pixels from one layer in another. For
> example:
>
> taxlot
> 1
> 2
> 3
> .
> .
> .
>
> combined with a raster layer that contains a classified image such that the
> resulting "comination" of layers contains the following information:
>
> taxlot, timber_type, n_pixels
> 1, 3, 45
> 1, 14, 5
> 1, 78, 198
> 2, 5, 987
> 2, 9, 34
> .
> .
> .
> n_taxlots
>
> I hope I've explained the problem enough.

Not for me, but I've never used Arc/Info. r.statistics does something
like this, although I don't know if it solves your exact problem.

However, you would probably do better to ask on GRASSLIST at baylor.edu,
which is the general GRASS users' list. This list is specifically for
GRASS-on-Windows, and is unlikely to be read by anyone using GRASS on
Unix systems (which is currently the vast majority of GRASS users).