[winGRASS] Cannot run nviz

Mike Thomas mthomas at gil.com.au
Thu Aug 28 07:19:40 EDT 2003

Hi all.

> > While doing the tutorial with the Elsfleth data set, I encountered a
problem
> > with nviz. I cannot open it, but receive the following error message
generated
> > by NVWISH2.2:
> >
> > <<This application has failed to start because cygtcl80.dll was not
found -
> > Re-installing the application might solve this problem>>
> >
> > followed by a string of error messages generated by nviz2.2 in the
command
> > window.
> >
> > Where does this file in question belong to? CygWin, XServer or GRASS?
>
> cygtcl80.dll is part of Cygwin's Tcl/Tk package.
>
> However, NVIZ won't work with Cygwin's Tcl/Tk package; it needs a
> Unix/X11 version of Tcl/Tk. Consequently, that NVWISH2.2 binary (which
> is the "core" of NVIZ) simply won't work.
>
> More generally, getting NVIZ to work on Cygwin can be a fair amount of
> work. NVIZ requires a high degree of Unix compatility; more than for
> the rest of GRASS. It's not uncommon for GRASS/Cygwin binary packages
> to include a version of NVIZ which doesn't actually work (usually
> because it uses either Cygwin's Tcl/Tk or Cygwin's OpenGL, neither of
> which are suitable).

The X11 version of Tcl/Tk you need lives at:

http://grass.itc.it/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/wingrass_xserver/

The current release X11 version of Grass (5.02) is also to be found in that
directory.  It has a working NVIZ, but you _must_ use that Tcl/Tk indicated
above and ensure it is first in your path (use "which wish").

You will also need a working XServer on your computer.  The instructions you
need to consider are at:

http://grass.itc.it/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/cygwin_grass50bininstall.ht
ml

Best of luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have on the WinGrass
list.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.

---