[winGRASS] hidden cost of GRASS

Suvrat Kher suvrat at pn2.vsnl.net.in
Tue Sep 30 03:57:39 EDT 2003

Hi all-

We are a small NGO looking to use GIS for natural resources applications. Since GRASS is "free" there have been some discussion on using the software in place of other commercial packages. Our group is only used to Windows and have no expertise in Linux etc. Our concern is that since winGRASS is still a bit experimental there will be hidden costs in terms of seeking expert help in case of maintanence problems, bugs, breakdown etc., and resulting lost productivity. Is there any study or assessement done that addresses these issues in terms of quantifying these cost?

thanks for your help

Suvrat