[winGRASS] Html browser problems in Help 5.7....still

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Dec 1 05:05:59 EST 2004

Patton, Eric wrote:

> I've been having an ongoing problem for quite a while now, namely, haven't
> been able to coax Grass 5.7 into loading _any_ html browser for html help
> files. I checked out my GRASS_HTML_BROWSER variable, and it's set to
> 'Konqueror'. So that should be it, right? I tried changing it to Mozilla
> just for fun, but I keep getting the same error message:
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/wingrass/2004-August/000557.html
> <http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/wingrass/2004-August/000557.html>
>
> Now, is Grass looking for a Cygwin-specific package of Mozilla or Konqueror
> that was included with my setup.exe install, or will it be able to know that
> I've got Mozilla 1.7.3 installed at C:\Program
> Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe, for example. So really, does Grass
> require an absolute path to the browser?

If you specify just a program name (rather than an absolute path), it
has to be in one of the directories which is specified by $PATH.

I doubt that the Program Files/Mozilla directory will be included
automatically.

Also, it's possible that shell scripts won't correctly handle a path
containing spaces.

One possible solution to both problems may be to create a symbolic
link, e.g.:

	ln -s '/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Mozilla/mozilla.exe' /bin/mozilla.exe