[winGRASS] Navigation

Mike Francis Mike at mikhul1.f2s.com
Wed May 5 16:11:41 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am developing a navigation system for the blind. A particular problem I need to overcome is to determine the exact bearing a user is facing. For example, a person with normal sight knows which direction s/he is facing because they are able to use 'line-of-sight' to landmarks. However, a blind person, cannot use line-of-sight and s/he have no idea in which direction they are facing. Now, a usual navigation system can plot the shortest path and offer directions from an origin to a destination. However, until we are able to determine the direction faced by a user we cannot offer navigation instructions. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas how I can use GRASS and a GPS attached to a PDA to determine this 'micro-bearing' data?

Thanks for your help.
Mike

Dr. Michael Francis Ph.D (Lancaster); M.Sc (Lancaster); M.Sc (London); BA Hons (CNAA) MBCS MCIT MIHT
Senior Lecturer in Information Systems
Director, Merseyside Regional Research Laboratory,
Liverpool John Moores University,
Liverpool,
England

Telephone 079 600 600 72