[winGRASS] Getting GRASS to run?

Jonathan Christensen dzhonatan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 17:29:07 EDT 2004

Hey all,

I recently came across GRASS and decided to give it a try--I'm a
GIS/CG hobbyist--but have had some trouble getting it to work. I
followed the directions on
http://grass.baylor.edu//grass57/binary/mswindows_cygwin/cygwin_grass.html,
and everything seems to work fine until I get to the bit where it
says:

"First open an xterm (terminal window):
startx"

cygwin says that the startx command isn't recognized. After messing
around a bit, I found that just 'x' opens a window of some kind, but
then I see no way to open GRASS. If I try just entering grass57, I get
the following:

$ grass57
Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment v
ariable
Searching for web browser, but neither konqueror, nor mozilla, opera, netscape f
ound.

WELCOME TO GRASS              Version 5.7.0         2004

   1) Have at your side all available GRASS tutorials

   2) When working on your location, the following materials
      are extremely useful:
      - A topo map of your area
      - Current catalog of available computer maps

   3) Check the GRASS webpages for feedback mailinglists and more:
      http://grass.itc.it/
      http://grass.ibiblio.edu/

Hit RETURN to continue

[I hit RETURN...]

/usr/local/grass5.7.0-i686-pc-cygwin-24_06_2004/etc/Init.sh: cannot create /tmp/
grass57-The Dude-19784/gisrc: directory nonexistent

And nothing more happens.

Anybody know what's wrong? I don't have a clue where to start, so any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jonathan Christensen