[winGRASS] issues with winGRASS and "pq.dll" (part of the old version of postgresql)

Isaac Ullah isaac.ullah at asu.edu
Mon Nov 14 17:41:52 EST 2005

     This is my first post to this listserve, so I apologize if this
topic has already been brought forth.
      I just updated my version of GRASS through the cygwin setup
process, but when I tried to run it, i recieved the error "cannot find
required file pq.dll" just ass the display manager was loading. When I
clicked "ok" GRASS failed to continue loading. I did some searching
around and discovered that "pq.dll" is part of the postgresql 7.4.*
release, and is supposed to live in /cygwin/usr/bin. Of course cygwin
update now only offers postgresql 8.*, and subsequently changed my
version of postgresql to this version. postgresql 8.* no longer uses
"pq.dll" in /cygwin/usr/bin, but instead uses "cygpq.dll" in
/cygwin/bin. I tried to fake it by making a link to "cygpq.dll" in
?cygwin?usr?bin and renaming it "pq.dll" (I also made this link in
/cygwin/bin and /cygwin/usr/local/bin, as well as C:/windows/system32)
but had no such luck. I believe the problem stems from the current
version of winGRASS available from geni.ath.cx/grass being built with
postgresql 7.4.*, and therefore still looking for those components. I
cannot figure out, however, to get this older version of postgresql back
(from the cygwin setup routine), so I was wondering if anyone knows how
to do this, or if not if anyone knows if and when winGRASS is going to
be rebuilt to support postgresql 8.*?  In the meantime, GRASS is
completely non-functioning on my windows machine (my laptop), and I am
forced to do all my GISing on the lab's Linux system...

Cheers,

Isaac Ullah