[winGRASS] Re: [GRASS-user] Importing GLOBE DEM data

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sun Oct 29 07:21:57 EST 2006

gotnidea! Business Development Centre wrote:
> Thanks to all for the guidance.
>
> I have been able to import and view the data using r.in.gdal. The only
> problem is that it is in Black and White. I tried to use this command:
>
> r.colors map=Gujarat color=rules rast=Gujarat rules=terrain
>
> I hope this is what Moritz meant:

no:

r.colors map=Gujarat rules=terrain

the color= and rast= options are two different ways of setting color
tables, using all of them at the same time does not make sense (maybe
the module should actually complain about this ?).

> The other Data I downloaded is : freegis_worlddata-0.1_simpl.tar

In case you did not know: this is vector data.

> It is also in Black and White with only the outlines and crosses in
> black. I have made a separate location for this data. I am unable to
> have a coloured map in it also. It's GRASS how to file (which comes
> along with the data mentions:
>

>     1. Create location
>
>     Location: <some name>
>
>     Mapset: <a name>
>
>     Database: <a path to a writable directory
>
>     Coordinate system: B, Latitude-Longitude

>     geodatic datum: no
>
>     ellipsoid: grs80
>
>     region:
>
>     north: 90
>
>     south: -90
>
>     west: -180
>
>     east: 180
>
>     grid resolution: not important
>

> When I tried to do this, I am getting this error : 'clear' is not
> recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
> file.

Yes, as mentioned earlier on the list, creation of locations at startup
currently does not work.

>     3. you can now load /usr/share/geo-data/country_geodata/pop.gm with
>     the GRASS
>
>     data manager to have a first look on the data and to print them.
>

> How can I undertake this step. I am a bit clueless.

I don't think you can as it is probably for the old gui (d.m).

>     4. Print colorcoded maps
>
>     #start monitor fo visualization
>
>     d.mon x0
>
>     # print china in red
>
>     d.vect map=countries type=area where="fibs='CH'" fcolor=255:0:0
>
>     # print countries with total population < 5000000 in green
>
>     d.vect map=countries type=area where="total<5000000" fcolor=0:255:0
>
>     # erase all objects from monitor
>
>     d.erase
>
>     # stop monitor
>
>     d.mon stop=x0
>

> This last step mentioned in the How to... is again a bit confusing. I
> hope this is what is supposed to be written in the Output - GIS.m and
> run. Is it?

No, these are commands for the command line. But you cannot use them in
wingrass as they depend on the old GRASS monitor display system which is
not available in the wingrass gui (gis.m - GIS Manager).

Currently you cannot use any display commands from the command line if
you use the GIS Manager GUI (this is true for *nix as well).

All of these commands are now integrated into the gui.

To reproduce this example:

- click on the "Add vector layer" button
- click on the vector1 label

Beneath the layer tree, you will see appear the vector panel.

Fill out the relevant fields (e.g. "Vector name", "SQL query", etc)

If I have the time one of these days, I might make some detailed movies,
but not now.

Moritz