[GRASS-windows] native grass63RC4 and MSYS shell

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Feb 8 16:11:31 EST 2008

Mirko Baruffini wrote:

> I' m using wingrass grass63RC4. The use is ok, but, when I launch
> grass63.bat, it does not load the shell msys (I have uncommented and
> adapted some of the environment variables in grass/bin/grass63.bat).
>
> So i decided to launch a script with native wingrass launching grass
> from within the msys shell.
> When I type /c/grass/bin/grass63 it does not load grass. On the sceen I
> can read:
>
> mirko.baruffini at ISTPC29 /
> $ /c/grass63RC4/bin/grass63
> /c/grass63RC4/grass-6.3.0RC4/etc/Init.sh: uname: command not found
> /c/grass63RC4/grass-6.3.0RC4/etc/Init.sh: uname: command not found
> /c/grass63RC4/grass-6.3.0RC4/etc/Init.sh: mkdir: command not found
> Cannot create temporary directory! Exiting.
>
> But the command uname exists:
>
> mirko.baruffini at ISTPC29 /
> $ uname
> MINGW32_NT-5.1
>
> What could  I do?

AFAIK, starting GRASS or running GRASS commands from the MSys shell is
unsupported under Windows.

Unfortunately, MSys shell provides an environment which is somewhere
between Unix and Windows, and not entirely compatible with either. In
particular, any pathnames which GRASS sees will need to be compatible
with Windows, e.g. C:\path\to\file or C:/path/to/file rather than
MSys' /c/path/to/file convention.

The focus of WinGRASS is to produce a *native* Windows version. Unless
you're building WinGRASS yourself, you shouldn't need MSys for
anything other than running shell scripts.