[GRASS-windows] Error: Redirection is not supported

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Feb 9 15:29:02 EST 2008

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> >> Windows is supposed to use the grass63.bat file (which invokes
> >> init.bat); I don't know whether Init.sh is meant to be supported under
> >> Windows.
> >
> > Glynn,
> >
> > OK, if I tried from cmd.exe I get:
> >
> > c:\warmerda\grass63RC4\bin>grass63.bat
> > grass63.bat
> > access: Invalid argument
> > ERROR: LOCATION << c:/warmerda/grass63RC4/bin/<UNKNOWN> >> not available
> > '"wish.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> > operable program or batch file.
> > '"wish.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> > operable program or batch file.
> > access: Invalid argument
> > ERROR: LOCATION << c:/warmerda/grass63RC4/bin/<UNKNOWN> >> not available
> >
> > Am I supposed to have a grass database setup before I run things?

> Sorry for being a bit clueless, I meant to run in -text mode.  When I do
> I get:
>
> c:\warmerda\grass63RC4\bin>grass63.bat -text
> grass63.bat -text
> access: Invalid argument
> ERROR: LOCATION << c:/warmerda/grass63RC4/bin/<UNKNOWN> >> not available

The "ERROR: LOCATION << .../<UNKNOWN> >> not available" is a known
issue with the startup. If the startup fails, you can end up with a
bogus ~/.grassrc6 file, which needs to be manually deleted before you
can use GRASS again.

[If %HOME% isn't already set, it will be set to %USERPROFILE%, which
is typically C:\Documents and Settings\<username>.]

The issue isn't specific to Windows, although it's more common there.

> Redirection is not supported.
>
> I'm *presuming* the redirection not supported is coming from the
> set_data program.

I don't think that it's being generated by GRASS directly. It's more
likely that bad data is finding its way into a system component.