[GRASS-windows] help with command line in GRASS 6.3

Michael Denslow michael.denslow at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 12:02:21 EDT 2008

Hi Moritz, List

>> I am very new to GRASS and have been going through chapter 3 of the
>> Neteler and Mitasova's Open Source GIS book in order to learn some
>> basics. I can run the functions from the GUI (e.g. viewing rasters
>> etc.) but am not able to run the commands through the command line
>> window. I am attempting to run them from the bottom of the 'Output
>> Window'. What I am doing wrong here?
>
> You will have to be much more specific if you want us to help you. What are
> the commands you are trying to run, what do you expect to see and what do
> you see (i.e. error messages, etc) ?

OK , sure. If I run the command

g.list rast

in the output window I get a list of rasters great! So then I get info
about the elevation raster from the North Carolina dataset.

r.info elevation

Works, great. Then set the region to be displayed

g.region rast=elevation -p
d.erase

seems to work, now display the raster

d.rast elevation

I run this command and I get a green line that runs along the bottom
of the command when it shows up in the top of the output window and
nothing shows in the map display. Also if I try to open a display
monitor by entering

d.mon x0

I get an error 'Problem selecting x1. Will try once more.', I am
expecting to see the raster displayed when I run d.rast but I don't.
Any further advice would be most appreciated.
Michael