[GRASS-windows] r.report, r.patch

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Sep 30 22:03:51 EDT 2008

Helena Mitasova wrote:

> >> 1. r.report does not work for two students (one has VISTA one has XP)
> >> it does not print anything - it works for me
> >> and others - has anybody had a similar problem?
> >
> > Maybe a problem with writing temporary files?
> >
> > This (amongst other things[1]) will fail if there are spaces in
> > $GISDBASE. r.report constructs and executes (with system()) an r.stats
> > command which redirects to a temporary file, and the temporary
> > filename isn't quoted.
>
> The installer puts the sample data locations into a directory with a
> space[1]
> in its name so that may be it. For the lab computers I have moved the
> data into
> a directory that does not have space in its name but the students
> that have
> problems might have kept it in the original directory - I will check
> for that.
>
> [1]The sample data files will be installed into a directory called
> GIS DataBase,
> that will be created in your Documents folder

Well, the Documents folder itself normally contains spaces in English
installations, e.g.: "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents".

You can often get around this using 8.3 filenames, e.g.
"c:\docume~1\<user>\mydocu~1\", but it sometimes falls down (e.g.
getcwd() returns the "official" version).