[GRASS-windows] WinGRASS not deleting temp ppm files from map display

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Apr 16 23:00:31 EDT 2009

Isaac Ullah wrote:

> Before I submitted this as abug, I wanted to run it past the list first.
> I've been doing  lot of zooming, panning, etc. with WinGRASS map display
> lately, and I just noticed that my remaining 5gigs of free disk space had
> been eaten up in the last few days. I haven't downloaded anything, and have
> mainly just been woring in grass. I checked the size of the mapsets I've
> been working in and I discovered that the main one is 4.5 gig! It only has a
> few maps in it, so I checked the size of cell, and it is small. I check all
> the other folders and they were all small except for ".tmp" which was more
> than 4Gigs! When I looked inside, I noticed that ALL the ppm files from the
> map display from the last three days were still in there! I checked other
> mapsets that I have used in that time frame, and all of them have ppm files
> in them. mapsets I have not used have empty .tmp folders. Three days ago is
> when I installed RC4 binaries. Is this an issue with RC4 for anyone else? Is
> it a Windows thing? I'm using XP, on a laptop. I HAVE gone into hibernation
> with GRASS still up. Does dong so cause GRASS to "forget" the current PID,
> and therefore not be able to find the old ppm files to flush? Or is this
> just a bug in RC4?

AFAICT, the GUI removes the PPM/PGM files for a layer when you remove
the layer from the display, or when you close the map window.

One possibility is that the close event doesn't get handled on Windows
for whatever reason.

Can you conduct some tests:

1. Start the GUI from the command prompt, display a map, then quit.
Report any error message and whether any PPM/PGM files are left
behind.

2. Start the GUI, add some maps to the list, display them, remove some
maps from the list, check whether the PPM/PGM files are deleted as the
maps are removed.