[GRASS-windows] wingrass 6.4 installation problem

M July mlc652 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:23:17 EST 2009

I downloaded the native version wingrass-6.4.osvn-r40049-1-setup.exe and
performed the installation.  I'm using a Windows Vista 32-bit system.  Two
icons appeared on the desktop as a result of the installation.  When I
double click the msys.bat icon I first get an error window:
python.exe-Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point
?PyWinObject_As Handle@@YAHPAU_object@@PAPAX at Z could not
be located in the dynamic link library pywintypes25.dll <pywintype at 25.dll>

When this window is closed, the "M" window has the following text:
Cleaning up temporary files ...
Starting GRASS ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:/GRASS-6-SVN/etc/wxpython/gis_set.py", line 848, in <module>
    import gui_modules.gcmd as gcmd
  File "c:\GRASS-6-SVN\etc\wxpython\gui_modules\gcmd.py", line 42, in
<module>
    from win32file import ReadFile, WriteFile
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.
Error in GUI startup. If necessary, please
Switching to text mode now.
Hit RETURN to continue

When RETURN is hit, Grass shuts down.  I don't know anything about python
(or wxpython), but both of the objectionable files exist:
File "c:\GRASS-6-SVN\etc\wxpython\gis_set.py"
File "c:\GRASS-6-SVN\etc\wxpython\gui_modules\gcmd.py

If I need to be an expert in Python and other arcane subjects, I should
probably just give up now.  On the other hand if it is not hard to get GRASS
running, I'll keep at it - provided someone can tell me what I did wrong or
can point me to some documentation that can help me get this up and running.

Thanks.
Matt