[GRASS-windows] v.in.ogr, other questions also

Monkey Boy slabshaft at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 11:39:45 EST 2009

More questions about inputting vector data, and viewing the maps.

I just read in a .shp file and the Output window said stuff was imported and
"topology was built"....

When I added my newly created vector output map, I was told "The bounding
box of the map is outside the current region, nothing drawn".  I went to the
Map Display window and zoomed out a bunch, then refit the zoom to the
selected map, which then made my map visible.

Question:
Is there a way to make the "bounding box" automatically zoom to the selected
map?  Does this have something to do with the "Starting Location" specified
on the GRASS startup screen?

Other questions:
Is the elevation data automatically contained within the .shp, .shx, and
.dbf files, or do I have to assign elevations to individual contour lines?
(this is probably a stupid question, I've still a lot to learn about this
stuff...)

Is it possible to create elevation profiles from vector maps or does the
data have to be converted into raster maps?

How do I define a new "Project Location (projection/coordinate system)" on
the Startup screen?  (this question is probably too general, I'm just
fishing for more info about how these are defined and how GRASS recognizes a
valid location to start using)

Any info is appreciated.  Thanks!

Brian